Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Jill and Kevin's Engagement Story




It was Memorial Day 2006. Kevin and I had only been dating for 5 months. Needless to say, I was not expecting a proposal. I had just been asked at a Indy 500 race party a few days earlier by some of our neighbors when I thought we would get engaged. I said, "I think he will propose around the holidays, either Thanksgiving or Christmas." Little did I know that the neighbors were hiding the ring for Kevin. He had given it to them and told them some specific instructions. He said, "Don't give me the ring if I've been drinking or if it is after 10:00 at night when I ask for it." Kevin has a history of spoiling his own surprises, so he didn't want to ruin his own plan for proposing. He even tried getting it from them two different nights, but they shut the door in his face and said, "Sorry, it's after 10:00 at night!" Then came Memorial Day. I actually set the surprise up perfect for him, unknowingly. Kevin had to work most of the day. So, I took it upon myself to invite all of our closest friends and family over for a pool party. It was a beautiful sunny day. Kevin came home around 5 PM. He immediately said, "Let's go take the jet skis for a ride." I argued with him. I had been out on them already that day, and I didn't want to hog them. Plus, I was on call for emergency surgery, and I knew it would be bad if I got called in while in the middle of the reservoir. I insisted that he go out riding with one of his friends. He wouldn't let it drop, so finally I gave in. While we were riding around on the middle of Geist reservoir, he said that he was having trouble with his jet ski and motioned to pull up next to a little island to check it out. Somehow, he even made the jet ski smoke, so I never thought any differently. Once we were idling next to the island, he got off his jet ski and started reaching down. I didn't think anything of this because I assumed he was reaching under the jet ski to see if something was caught. He started giving me ''the speech,'' but I still thought nothing of it because it was not uncommon for Kevin to tell me how much he loved me at any given moment. Finally, the light went off, and I realized he was down on one knee on the side of the jet ski with a small box in his hand. I was completely shocked and speechless. So much so, that Kevin finally had to say, ''So, what's your answer?'' I shouted, ''Yes!'' It was the happiest moment of my life. We drove our jet skis back to the dock and several of our friends and family were awaiting our arrival with cameras and a video camera. Kevin had told them just minutes before he asked me to go for a ride. We celebrated into the night and still joke about what would have happened if he had dropped the ring into the water...

No comments: