Thursday, January 29, 2009

Mike and Nicole's Engagement Story





So it was the week before Thanksgiving and I was out and about Christmas shopping for Nicole. For no apparent reason I wandered into this jewelry store at the mall. I just browsed around looking, when the girl behind the counter called me out. She quickly rattled off the cut I was looking for and the material of the ring. I wasn't sure that I was ready to get a ring just yet, but Chris quickly convinced me to come back at the end of the week and I could get a good deal on the ring.

I returned at the end of the week and purchased Nicole's engagement ring. At this point, the only person that I had told was my close friend Chris. For nearly two weeks, only Chris and I knew about the ring. One night Nicole and I were going to a Pacers game with my friend Jim and his wife Allie. When Allie and Nicole walked away for a short while, I told Jim about the ring. By now I was having trouble keeping it quiet. I spoke to my friend Jeremy that weekend and told him.

While I was going to have my morning coffee with Doug my boss, he joked about what I may have gotten Nicole for Christmas referring to a ring. I told him not for Christmas but for her birthday 2 days later. I told him about my plan and he actually helped me make arrangements and offer a better suggestion for my plan. With Doug's help, the plans were set.

So at this point I felt guilty, because I hadn't even had the chance to tell my parents yet. I called them and let them know what my plans were and when it was going to take place. Now my challenge was to talk to Nicole's parents before I asked Nicole to marry me. Her parents came down just before Christmas Eve. Nicole's mom was here first, and at a moment that Nicole wasn't around, I told her mom what I was doing. She was very excited, and very good about acting like nothing was happening. A day later, her dad came down to stay. When Nicole was out of the room, I told Nicole's dad about my plans. I had intended to phrase it as to ask him, but I was nervous and that is just how it came out. I caught him off guard and speechless. It was actually quite funny now that I look back on it. The next day, when he had his composure back, he gave me his blessing.

December 28th, 2007, I had made plans to take Nicole out to dinner for her birthday. I took her to a really nice French restaurant called the Chanteclair. Fortunately for me, I already knew some of the staff at the restaurant since it was located at one of my companies properties. Nicole was dressed in a pretty black dress along with the pearl earrings that I had given her as a gift for Christmas.

I had the ring in my coat pocket. The arrangement was to give the ring to the concierge and he would set it up to be brought out with dessert. I was nervous because they asked us for our coats when we arrived and I didn't know what to do. I hesitated for a second, but realized that the restroom was nearby and would be a good excuse when its time to get the ring. I handed my coat over and we were seated for dinner.

Dinner was unforgettable. We had fresh cesar salad made at the table. Actually, I guess I actually forgot what I ate for dinner but the salad was wonderful. Anyway, there is a guy that walks around and plays music on his violin. He came over to our table and offered to play a song for us. It turns out that he played a wedding song, which made me a little uneasy at the time since I knew what I would be doing later. Nicole was happy, just smiling and laughing. This was the first time that I had been anywhere with Nicole and actually had trouble talking or coming up with things to talk about.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am very happy that you both found the special someone that you 'are supposed to find.' Not only does Nicole have a awesome, trustworthy guy, but a great storyteller!!! I wish you both the best.
Melissa S

steve H. said...

What a great story. That's something you'll share forever. I was married on Dec. 28th, so this story rings true.

Anonymous said...

What can I say? That was quite a set up. But you nearly blew the suprise Mike! Anyhoo, I'm glad it went well. Congratulations to the both of you, and I'll see you soon.

Jonathan C.
"The Legendary Wonder of The Edge Of The Soul"

Anonymous said...

Great story. You planned it well. Nicole seems like a wonderful person and I know that you are. Congrats. This is the beginning of a long and wonderful life together. But I would be interested in hearing how you actually presented the ring. You'll have to fill me in later.

Dave Wilson, Commercial & Event Videographer said...

great story mike and nicole, im very happy for your engagement and hope your wedding plans are going well. Mike its great that you finally found such a great girl to spend the rest of your life with. Congrats, Dave

Anonymous said...

Mike, I enjoyed your start of the story, but was left hanging -- Did the ring ever get from your coat pocket and on to her hand? Did she say yes? Was she surprised or did she think it was coming? Just a few things you might like to clear up for guys like me who can't guess what happened in the rest of the story.

Anonymous said...

[url=http://www.mulberryinoutlet.co.uk]Mulberry Alexa[/url] So - we find out about this SAE party but we dont have a ride. [url=http://dkgoose.com]Canada Goose tilbud[/url] Eqscmqqdk [url=http://csrhelix.com]canada goose jakke[/url]
jnkpzs 557590 [url=http://www.chilliwackbombersoutlet.com]canada goose expedition parka black[/url] 270746 [url=http://www.beatsbydreaonsales.com]cheap dre beats[/url]